FMF 2016 Vancouver
Supported by the Foundation for Advancing Family Medicine of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and by Scotiabank.
These awards recognize outstanding medical students who have demonstrated an interest or commitment to a career in family medicine. Each Canadian medical school is invited to nominate a medical student in their second-last undergraduate year of study at the time of application (graduating class of 2018).
Student Application Process
- All medical students in good academic standing who are in the graduating class of 2018 may apply
- The deadline to submit an application is April 18, 2017, 4pm EST/EDT
- Application forms are available from the office of the Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education at each Canadian medical school or see above for the PDF application form
- Completed application forms must be submitted by students to the office of their Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education.
A selection committee comprised of student and faculty representatives at each Canadian medical school is asked to identify their nominees for a Medical Student Scholarship.
The following criteria should be considered by the school’s selection committee and information regarding each of these attributes and activities should be included with the nomination form:
- The student has shown a genuine interest in family medicine
- The experiences and electives of the student reflect this interest
- The student has been involved in family medicine activities (participation in a Family Medicine Interest Group, Rural Family Medicine Interest Group, Family Medicine Forum, other family medicine committees)
- The student has shown leadership in these activities
- The student has been involved in family medicine academic activities (eg, articles, posters or other publications related to family medicine and/or the four principles of family medicine)
- The student has been involved in the community and/or community-based projects (volunteer involvement in family medicine settings, outreach clinics, high schools, etc.)
- The student possesses excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- The student demonstrates a lifelong commitment to family medicine
The selection committee is encouraged to include an interview component with the applicants as part of the selection process.
A nomination package will be mailed to the office of the Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education in order for them to complete this process.
Two letters of support from faculty members, one of which is a family physician, are required. These letters of support are an important component in the selection process and should include sufficient information about the candidate to support the nomination.
Nominations must be submitted online. The deadline is June 20, 2017. The Honours and Awards Committee will approve the nominations for these scholarships and inform the recipients in July.