What Is… CFP?
Canadian Family Physician (CFP) is the official publication of the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC). CFP is an internationally recognized, peer-reviewed medical journal entirely devoted to the specialty of family medicine. As a visible symbol of family medicine in Canada, CFP plays a central role not only in expressing the professional identity of family physicians across the country, but also in representing the discipline within the wider health care community. The journal is firmly rooted in family medicine in Canada; the scientific editor and the more than 900 peer reviewers are family physicians. CFP is published twelve times per year and is distributed to all members of the College. Content consists of commentaries, clinical reviews, practical articles, and research articles specific to family medicine. The journal accepts content in English or French and publishes articles in the language of submission; translations are provided for editorials, commentaries, College materials, and all research and clinical review abstracts. CFP is listed in PubMed/MEDLINE, EMBASE/Excerpta Medica, CINAHL, Current Contents/Clinical Practice, and Science Citation Index Expanded, offering international exposure to authors.
The digital edition, eCFP, is emailed to all CFPC members each month. CFP also provides member services such as CFP Mainpro+®, which allows members to earn certified credits. Cost of publication and distribution is largely supported by display and classified advertising; all pharmaceutical ads must be approved by the Pharmaceutical Advertising Advisory Board (PAAB). All content of the print edition, as well as much of the web-exclusive content is available to the public on the CFP website.
CFP facts and figures:
- CFP has a print circulation of approximately 31,000
- CFP’s 2015 impact factor is 1.585, making it one of the top five journals of family medicine worldwide
- Articles, features, and web-exclusives on cfp.ca are accessed approximately 100,000 times per month
- Content (including back issues) was accessed by users worldwide approximately 410,000 times per month through PubMed Central from January 2015 to April 2016
- Back issues of the journal from July 1967 are available at the journal website and through PubMed Central
- CFP subscribes to the ethical standards set by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICJME)
- Paid subscriptions are available to libraries, institutions, non-member physicians, and others
For more information, please visit the CFP website.