The Fundamental Teaching Activities in Family MedicineTM: A Framework for Faculty Development (FTA Framework) was designed to support all teachers (family physicians and other health care providers) involved in providing quality family medicine education in Canada. Intuitive in its language and practical in its approach, the FTA Framework describes what teachers actually do and helps them to consider creative ways to expand and enhance their teaching activities. With the implementation of the Triple C Competency-based Curriculum and other undergraduate, postgraduate, and continuing professional development educational initiatives, the CFPC recognizes that supporting clinical teachers is a priority for the organization.
The FTA Framework:
- Outlines a clear description of essential tasks for teachers in family medicine
- Provides a road map to guide self-reflection and continuing professional development
- Assists programs, departments and faculty members in developing strategies for faculty development
- Serves as an organizational framework for family medicine faculty development materials, tools, and strategies, both locally and nationally
- Contributes to the field of faculty development in medical education