Spring 2021 Certification Examination in Family Medicine update related to COVID-19 restrictions
We at the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) sympathize with you over the stress you may be experiencing as a result of recent provincial announcements related to COVID-19 as you prepare for the Certification Examination in Family Medicine taking place from April 20 to 23, 2021.
Some provinces are changing their pandemic-related public health restrictions regarding indoor gatherings, which may affect candidates who are scheduled to write the exam at a test centre. Prometric has not announced any site closures or reduced seating capacity, but please appreciate that this is a rapidly changing situation. Below we have provided links to current Prometric testing site information.
What does this mean for you? Here is what we can tell you about the current situation, contingency plans, and options in place in the event of exam site closures:
- There are no plans to cancel the examination this spring. It will go ahead at all open testing sites and through the remote-proctoring option. It is possible that on a regional basis some testing sites may be forced to close or reduce their capacity due to pandemic safety restrictions. Prometric will notify candidates and post information as decisions are made, in accordance with local health regulations.
- Individuals who have already registered may be able to switch from taking the exam at a test centre to taking it in their home via a remote-proctoring testing spot. However, the ability to switch from a test centre to remote proctoring will become more difficult as the exam date nears. Switching a large number of CFPC exam candidates to remote proctoring at the last minute is not possible for capacity and staffing reasons. If necessary, please use Prometric’s self-serve tool to explore options for rescheduling your exam.
- There is a well-thought-out contingency plan: For any individuals who are unable to write the exam due to site closures, a delayed exam-writing day will be offered within the next three to six months. Details about this will be shared with candidates when specifics are known about the number and locations of testing spots needed.
- Prometric’s self-serve tools let candidates reschedule exams, locate test centres, and more: https://www.prometric.com/test-takers/search.
- The COVID-19 FAQ page has helpful information about topics such as exam cancellations and fees: https://www.prometric.com/covid-19-frequently-asked-questions.
- The Site Status page allows you to check your test centre’s standing, including closures and restrictions: https://www.prometric.com/site-status.
- If a last-minute cancellation occurs due to COVID-19 restrictions, weather, or other interruptions, candidates will receive a detailed email notification from Prometric immediately. The cancellation may not appear in Prometric’s scheduling system right away. If you receive this message, you do not need to take any action or contact anyone for assistance.
Brent Kvern, MD, CCFP, FCFP
Director, Certification and Examinations