COVID-19 Information and Resources
Date modified: 2021-12-01
National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI)
- New November 19, 2021: Recommendation on the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine (10 mcg) in children 5 to 11 years of age (PDF)
- October 29, 2021: Interim guidance on booster COVID-19 vaccine doses in Canada (PDF)
- October 22, 2021: Recommendations on the use of COVID-19 vaccines
- September 28, 2021: NACI rapid response: Booster dose in long-term care residents and seniors living in other congregate settings
- September 10, 2021: NACI rapid response: Additional dose of COVID-19 vaccine in immunocompromised individuals following a 1- or 2-dose primary series
- August 27, 2021: Recommendation on the use of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines in adolescents 12 to 17 years of age
COVID-19 Vaccines and Treatments
- Approved COVID-19 Vaccines [Health Canada]
- Approved vaccines
- Types of vaccines
- COVID-19 Treatments [Health Canada]
- About treatments for COVID-19
- What authorization of a treatment means
- COVID-19 vaccines and treatments portal [Government of Canada]
- Up-to-date information about vaccines and treatments for COVID-19.
- Vaccines for children: COVID-19 [Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)]
- Vaccines approved for children and youth
- How the vaccines are studied and tested for children and youth
- Importance of vaccination
- Possible side effects
- Have a positive vaccination experience
- How to get vaccinated
- Protect unvaccinated children
- Life after vaccination
- Vaccines for COVID-19: How to get vaccinated [PHAC]
- Getting an appointment
- Who is eligible
- When to consult with your doctor
- Benefits of vaccination
- If you need proof of vaccination
- COVID-19: Effectiveness and benefits of vaccination [PHAC]
- Health benefits of vaccination
- Becoming fully vaccinated
- Variants of concern
- Life after vaccination
- Proof of vaccination in Canada
- Reported side effects following COVID-19 vaccination in Canada [Public Health Infobase]
- Weekly report
- Drugs and vaccines for COVID-19: List of authorized clinical trials [Health Canada]
- Health Canada updates Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccine labels to include information on myocarditis and pericarditis
- Table of updates: Recommendations on the use of COVID-19 vaccines [PHAC]
Guidance and Reports
- New COVID-19: Improving indoor ventilation [PHAC]
- How to improve indoor ventilation
- Natural ventilation
- Mechanical ventilation
- How to improve ventilation in specific settings
- Long-term care facilities
- Portable air purifiers
- Fans and single unit air conditioners
- Carbon dioxide (CO2) monitors
- How to improve indoor ventilation
- New COVID-19 and deaths in older Canadians: Excess mortality and the impacts of age and comorbidity [PHAC]
- Testing for COVID-19 in vaccinated populations [PHAC]
- Pan-Canadian COVID-19 Testing and Screening Guidance: Technical guidance and implementation plan [Health Canada]
- COVID-19 vaccination in Canada [Public Health Infobase]
- Vaccines doses administered
- Vaccination coverage
- COVID-19 daily epidemiology update [Public Health Infobase]
- Key updates
- Current situation
- National overview
- Variants of concern
- Epidemic curve
- How people were exposed
- Cases following vaccination
- Severe illness and outcomes
- Provincial/territorial and international reporting
- Additional COVID-19 data resources
- Information for Parents [PHAC]
- Parenting during COVID-19
- For Indigenous peoples
- Provincial, territorial and community-based resources
- Vaccines and immunizations
- Financial help
- COVID-19 medical masks and respirators [Health Canada]
Information about different types of masks and respirators approved for use in Canada and their uses
- Community-based measures to mitigate the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Canada [PHAC]
- Pan-Canadian virtual care priorities in response to COVID-19 [Health Canada]
- The COVID-19 Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) Modelling Group [National Collaborating Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCCID)]
The COVID-19 PHAC Modelling Group prepares this publication every two weeks.
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Guidance documents [PHAC]
Ethical and technical guidance on COVID-19 for various audiences:
- About guidance creation
- School settings
- Child and youth settings
- Health professionals
- Health sector preparation
- Indigenous communities
- Death care services
- Faith community leaders
- Adjusting public health measures in the context of COVID-19 vaccination [PHAC]
- A risk-based approach to COVID-19
- Impact of COVID-19 vaccination
- Adjusting public health measures
- Considerations for remote, isolated and Indigenous communities
- Wider impacts of COVID-19: A look at how substance-related harms across Canada have changed during the pandemic [PHAC]
- Essential Services Contingency Reserve [Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC)]
Determine whether your organization or business is eligible to request access to the Government of Canada's Essential Services Contingency Reserve (ESCR).
- COVID-19: Social media and promotional resources for Health Canada and Public Health Agency of Canada [PHAC]
- Download COVID Alert today [PHAC]
Canada's free exposure notification app available for: Manitoba, Northwest Territories, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan.
Results of the May 2021 CFPC Members Survey on COVID-19
It is critically important to know how family doctors are caring for patients and communities as front-line health workers in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) surveyed its 40,000 members in 2020 and 2021. We told their COVID-19 stories at the start of the pandemic in May 2020. The results provided here from May 2021 show how family doctors continue to adapt their practices and the concerns they have for their patients a year later.
Have questions? Please contact us at [email protected].
Family Physician Wellness Resources
You are not alone. Get mental health or substance abuse support.
Taking care of your mental and physical health during the COVID-19 pandemic
Physician Wellness Hub
Pandemic Wellness Toolkit
This toolkit has evidence-based wellness supports, including:
- A wellness self-assessment tool
- Access to peer support and counselling service
- Resources to connect with peers, support your team, and overcome challenges related to the pandemic
National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI): Statements and publications [PHAC]
This web page contains the latest recommendations on the use of COVID-19 vaccines (located under the “COVID-19” subheading).
Quick reference guide on use of COVID-19 vaccines: Managing contraindications, precautions and allergic reactions [PHAC]
Information on this web page includes:
- Contraindications and precautions and their associated management options
- Ingredients of available COVID-19 vaccines that have been associated with allergic reactions and some other products where they may be found
COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitance: Conversations with Primary Care [National Collaborating Centre for Infectious Diseases; NCCID]
This webinar recording (July 2021) addresses a range of approaches primary care physicians can take in conversations with patients to reduce vaccine hesitancy and improve uptake.
Primary Care COVID-19 Immunization Toolkit [University of British Columbia, Innovation Support Unit, Department of Family Practice]
The tool kit offers practices specific guidance on delivering COVID-19 vaccines as well as supporting patients in vaccination decisions. The dynamic resource is updated as new information becomes available.
COVID-19 Vaccination Information Resources: Tool Kit for Health Care Providers (PDF) [PHAC]
This PDF contains links to resources organized under the following subheadings:
- About COVID-19
- Overview of Vaccines
- Authorized Vaccines
- Guidance for Health Care Providers
- Vaccine Confidence
- Vaccine Safety
- Additional Resources
Virtual care resources and guidelines
- Tips for Supervising Family Medicine Learners Providing Virtual Care [CFPC]
- COVID-19: Tips for family doctors [Ontario College of Family Physicians]
- Telemedicine and virtual care guidelines by province [Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada]
- Telehealth and patient-doctor relationships in rural and remote communities [Canadian Family Physician December 2016]
As part of their response to COVID-19, physicians in Canada are taking part in many learning opportunities related to the pandemic, including reading journal articles and attending webinars and rounds. Many of these activities have been developed quickly and are not formally certified.
This is an opportunity to have your efforts recognized.
Turn your learning experience into two Mainpro+ certified credits by describing and documenting the impact the activity has had on your practice. You can find this learning activity in Mainpro+ under Self-Learning, Certified activities: COVID-19 Learning on the Go.
If you have questions, please contact the Mainpro+ team at 1-800-387-6197 ext. 560 or [email protected].
COVID-19 Vaccination: Free learning modules
A free e-learning series for primary care professionals to stay current on COVID-19 vaccination evidence and policy, developed by the University of Toronto’s Department of Family and Community Medicine and the Ontario College of Family Physicians.
Certified for up to one Mainpro+ credit.
The module topics include mRNA vaccines, viral vector vaccines, and vaccine rollout, and an important module with practical information to support professionals to build vaccine confidence. Modules will be updated based on changing evidence and policy.
Available in English only.
Register at https://www.dfcm.utoronto.ca/covid19-vaccination-modules.
Resources for Residents/New in Practice
The CFPC’s First Five Years in Family Practice
- Support from your peers in early practice is available through the First Five Years in Family Practice Canada Facebook group. There are also peer First Five Years Facebook groups in each province that discuss region-specific questions (e.g., billing information).
- General transition-to-practice information is available on the First Five Years Transition to Practice website.
Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA)
- The COVID-19 Hub provides advice, support, and medico-legal protection that Canadian physicians can rely on amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Find articles, podcasts, FAQs, and the latest advice on issues that matter to you as you navigate the COVID-19 pandemic and a changed health care landscape.
- Residents can contact the CMPA using its secure members portal (login required) or by calling 1-800-267-6522 Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (ET).
Canadian Medical Association (CMA)
- The CMA has created a dedicated COVID-19 web page with resources for managing your practice, providing virtual care, and supporting physician wellness during this time of crisis.
- National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI): Statements and publications [PHAC]
- Infection prevention and control [PHAC]
- Acute care
- Long-term care
- Outpatient and ambulatory care
- Public health management of cases and contacts associated with COVID-19 [PHAC]
- Guidance for repeated PCR testing in individuals previously positive for COVID-19 [PHAC]
- Interim guidance on the use of rapid antigen detection tests for the identification of SARS-CoV-2 infection [PHAC]
- Pan-Canadian COVID-19 Testing and Screening Guidance: Technical guidance and implementation plan [PHAC]
- Infection prevention and control recommendations for medical evacuation by aircraft of patients with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 from remote and isolated communities in Canada’s North [PHAC]
- COVID-19: For health professionals [PHAC]
- Resource Documents from Public Health Physicians of Canada [PHPC]
- COVID-19: A data perspective [Statistics Canada]
Resources for Patients
- Ask the experts video series: COVID-19 vaccines questions [Health Canada]
Medical experts share answers to common questions about COVID-19 vaccines. Transcriptions are included for each video.
Upcoming CFPC webinars and recorded webinars are listed below. Details about upcoming COVID-19 related webinars will be posted to this page.
The COVID-19 Pivot: Putting vaccines into action and more updates
Panel: Dr. Isaac Bogoch, Dr. Noni MacDonald, and Dr. Morgan Price
The COVID-19 Pivot: Vaccine update for family physicians
A Practical Approach to Managing RTIs in the Era of COVD-19 and Virtual Care
How can we continue to use antibiotics wisely in primary care?
Presenters: Dr. Jerome Leis, Dr. Allan Grill
Access to the presentation
Emerging COVID-19 Issues: Preparing for a second wave
The COVID-19 Pivot: An opportunity to re-evaluate high value care and clinical preventive services
Presenters: Dr. Tina Korownyk, Dr. Guylène Thériault, and Dr. Kimberly Wintemute
Presentation slides: An opportunity to re-evaluate high value care and clinical preventive services
The COVID-19 Pivot: Reclaiming your office practice during the pandemic
Host: Dr. Jeff Sisler
Presenters: Dr. Nadia Alam, Dr. Shirley Schipper, and Dr. Katherine Stringer
Presentation slides: Reclaiming your office practice during the pandemic
Resources: Reclaiming your office practice during the pandemic
Principles for the Re-introduction of Deferred Services
Recommendations for Regional Health Care Delivery During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Outpatient Care, Primary Care, and Home and Community Care
The COVID-19 Pivot: Caring for vulnerable patients during the pandemic
Host: Dr. Janice Harvey
Presenters: Dr. Jane Philpott, Dr. Genevieve Bois, and Dr. Jeff Turnbull
Presentation slides: Caring for vulnerable patients during the pandemic
Resources: Caring for vulnerable patients during the pandemic
The COVID-19 Pivot: Clinical approaches to the global pandemic from an international panel
Host: Dr. David Ponka
Presenters: Dr. William Goldberg, Dr. Elena Klusova, and Dr. Nisanth Menon
The COVID-19 Pivot: Optimizing care of the elderly and long-term care residents during the pandemic
Host: Dr. Francine Lemire
Presenters: Dr. Julia Chabot and Dr. Elise Boulanger
Presentation slides: Optimizing care of the elderly and long-term care residents during the pandemic
Resources: Optimizing care of the elderly and long-term care residents during the pandemic
Rapid COVID-19 Evidence Reviews with the PEER Team
Presenters: The PEER Team
Notes: rebroadcast; hosted by the Alberta College of Family Physicians
The COVID-19 Pivot: Rapid evidence reviews with the PEER team
Host: Dr. Michael Allan
Presenters: Dr. Christina Korownyk, Dr. Mike Kolber, Dr. James McCormack, Dr. Adrienne Lindblad, and Dr. Nic Dugre
Presentation slides: Rapid evidence reviews with the PEER team
Bottom Line Summaries – PEER Talk
The COVID-19 Pivot: Acute management in the emergency department and ongoing hospital care
Host: Dr. Victor Ng
Presenters: Dr. Andrew Arcand, Dr. Ryan Luther, and Dr. Katie Wiskar
Presentation slides: Acute management in the emergency department and ongoing hospital care
The Covid-19 Pivot: Optimizing Care of the Elderly and Long-term Care Residents during the Pandemic
Host: Dr. Allan Grill
Presenters: Dr. Althea Hayden (family physician and Medical Health Officer, British Columbia), Dr. Elise Levinoff (geriatrician/internist and consultant at CHSLD Jewish Eldercare Centre, Quebec), and Dr. Andrea Moser (family physician at Baycrest Geriatric Health Sciences, Ontario).
Presentation slides: Optimizing Care of the Elderly and Long-term Care Residents during the Pandemic
The COVID-19 Pivot: Examining public health campaigns in the pandemic battle
Host: Dr. Janice Harvey
Speakers: Dr. Deena Hinshaw and Dr. Jeff Kwong
Presentation slides: Examining public health campaigns in the pandemic battle
Le virage COVID-19: Adapter la pratique de medicine de famille aux soing virtual
(webinar in French)
Host: Dr. Francine Lemire
Speaker: Dr. Mark Dermer
Presentation slides: Adapter la pratique de medicine de famille aux soing virtual
The COVID-19 Pivot: Adapting family practice to virtual care
Host: Dr. Jeff Sisler
Speakers: Dr. Mark Dermer and Dr. John Pawlovich
Presentation slides: Adapting family practice to virtual care
BMJ Infographic and Article: A quick guide to assessing patients by video or voice call
Ontario Medical Association: Telephone and virtual care fee codes
The Covid-19 Pivot: Protecting patients and physicians during the pandemic
Host: Dr. Mike Allan
Speakers: Dr. Allison McGeer and Dr. Jennifer Young
Presentation slides: Protecting patients and physicians during the pandemic
Resources and References – One Pager
The COVID-19 Pivot: The Clinical Presentation of COVID-19 Infections and Course of Illness
Host: Dr. Allan Grill
Speakers: Dr. Jared Bullard and Dr. Naheed Dosani
Presentation slides: The Clinical Presentation of COVID-19 Infections and Course of Illness
Provincial and Territorial Information and Resources
The CFPC has compiled a list of resources and information available, grouped by province and territory, for use by health care providers and/or patients.
The Doctor is In
Recommendations for expanding in-person care in community-based physician practices. Produced by the Members of the BC Community-Based Physician COVID Task Group of Doctors of BC.
My Family Doctor Cares
The BC College of Family Physicians launches campaign to highlight importance of safe and ongoing access to family physicians.