COVID-19 Information and Resources
Family Physician Wellness Resources
You are not alone. Get mental health or substance abuse support.
Taking care of your mental and physical health during the COVID-19 pandemic
Physician Wellness Hub
Pandemic Wellness Toolkit
This toolkit has evidence-based wellness supports, including:
- A wellness self-assessment tool
- Access to peer support and counselling service
- Resources to connect with peers, support your team, and overcome challenges related to the pandemic
COVID-19 Vaccination and Treatments
Chronic Disease Management during the COVID-19 Pandemic – Challenges and Opportunities [FM Pivot, The Besrour Centre for Global Family Medicine at the CFPC]
COVID-19 for health professionals: Post COVID-19 condition [PHAC]
National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI): Statements and publications [PHAC]
This web page contains the latest recommendations on the use of COVID-19 vaccines (located under the “COVID-19” subheading).
Quick reference guide on use of COVID-19 vaccines: Managing contraindications, precautions and allergic reactions [PHAC]
Information on this web page includes:
- Contraindications and precautions and their associated management options
- Ingredients of available COVID-19 vaccines that have been associated with allergic reactions and some other products where they may be found
COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitance: Conversations with Primary Care [National Collaborating Centre for Infectious Diseases; NCCID]
This webinar recording (July 2021) addresses a range of approaches primary care physicians can take in conversations with patients to reduce vaccine hesitancy and improve uptake.
Primary Care COVID-19 Immunization Toolkit [University of British Columbia, Innovation Support Unit, Department of Family Practice]
The tool kit offers practices specific guidance on delivering COVID-19 vaccines as well as supporting patients in vaccination decisions. The dynamic resource is updated as new information becomes available.
COVID-19 Vaccination Information Resources: Tool Kit for Health Care Providers (PDF) [PHAC]
This PDF contains links to resources organized under the following subheadings:
- About COVID-19
- Overview of Vaccines
- Authorized Vaccines
- Guidance for Health Care Providers
- Vaccine Confidence
- Vaccine Safety
- Additional Resources
Virtual care resources and guidelines
- Tips for Supervising Family Medicine Learners Providing Virtual Care [CFPC]
- COVID-19: Tips for family doctors [Ontario College of Family Physicians]
- Telemedicine and virtual care guidelines by province [Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada]
- Telehealth and patient-doctor relationships in rural and remote communities [Canadian Family Physician December 2016]
As part of their response to COVID-19, physicians in Canada are taking part in many learning opportunities related to the pandemic, including reading journal articles and attending webinars and rounds. Many of these activities have been developed quickly and are not formally certified.
This is an opportunity to have your efforts recognized.
Turn your learning experience into two Mainpro+ certified credits by describing and documenting the impact the activity has had on your practice. You can find this learning activity in Mainpro+ under Self-Learning, Certified activities: COVID-19 Learning on the Go.
If you have questions, please contact the Mainpro+ team at 1-800-387-6197 ext. 560 or mainprocr[email protected].
COVID-19 Vaccination: Free learning modules
A free e-learning series for primary care professionals to stay current on COVID-19 vaccination evidence and policy, developed by the University of Toronto’s Department of Family and Community Medicine and the Ontario College of Family Physicians.
Certified for up to one Mainpro+ credit.
The module topics include mRNA vaccines, viral vector vaccines, and vaccine rollout, and an important module with practical information to support professionals to build vaccine confidence. Modules will be updated based on changing evidence and policy.
Available in English only.
Register at https://www.dfcm.utoronto.ca/covid19-vaccination-modules.
Resources for Residents/New in Practice
The CFPC’s First Five Years in Family Practice
- Support from your peers in early practice is available through the First Five Years in Family Practice Canada Facebook group. There are also peer First Five Years Facebook groups in each province that discuss region-specific questions (e.g., billing information).
- General transition-to-practice information is available on the First Five Years Transition to Practice website.
Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA)
- The COVID-19 Hub provides advice, support, and medico-legal protection that Canadian physicians can rely on amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Find articles, podcasts, FAQs, and the latest advice on issues that matter to you as you navigate the COVID-19 pandemic and a changed health care landscape.
- Residents can contact the CMPA using its secure members portal (login required) or by calling 1-800-267-6522 Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (ET).
Canadian Medical Association (CMA)
- The CMA has created a dedicated COVID-19 web page with resources for managing your practice, providing virtual care, and supporting physician wellness during this time of crisis.
- COVID-19 vaccine: Canadian Immunization Guide (for health professionals) [PHAC]
- National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI): Statements and publications [PHAC]
- Infection prevention and control [PHAC]
- Acute care
- Long-term care
- Outpatient and ambulatory care
- Public health management of cases and contacts associated with COVID-19 [PHAC]
- Guidance for repeated PCR testing in individuals previously positive for COVID-19 [PHAC]
- Updated Interim guidance on the use of rapid antigen detection tests for the identification of SARS-CoV-2 infection [PHAC]
- Pan-Canadian COVID-19 Testing and Screening Guidance: Technical guidance and implementation plan [PHAC]
- Infection prevention and control recommendations for medical evacuation by aircraft of patients with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 from remote and isolated communities in Canada’s North [PHAC]
Recalls and Safety Alerts [Government of Canada]
Complete list of recalls and safety alerts from the Government of Canada
Alert Distribution of a New Presentation of SPIKEVAX (elasomeran) COVID-19 Vaccine (0.10 mg/mL in 2.5 mL multidose vial) with English-only Vial and Carton Labels
Recall Surestrips Rapid Response Covid-19 Antigen Rapid Test Device
Recall Surestrips Covid-19 Antigen Test
Health Product InfoWatch (Includes information on COVID-19-related products).
The Health Product InfoWatch is a monthly publication intended primarily for health care professionals. It provides clinically relevant safety information on pharmaceuticals, biologics, medical devices, and natural health products.
- COVID-19: For health professionals [PHAC]
- Resource Documents from Public Health Physicians of Canada [PHPC]
- COVID-19: A data perspective [Statistics Canada]
Resources for Patients
- The Department of Community and Family Medicine at the University of Toronto and the Ontario College of Family Physicians are pleased to introduce a new series of resources to help patients make sense of the latest guidance around COVID/Omicron.
- Ask the experts video series: COVID-19 vaccines questions [Health Canada]
Medical experts share answers to common questions about COVID-19 vaccines. Transcriptions are included for each video.
The CFPC has produced a series of live-stream webinars to support family physicians as they work to provide continuous care to their patients and communities during the COVID-19 pandemic. For a list of recorded and upcoming webinars, visit the CFPC’s Clinical Live-Stream Webinars page.
Treatment Options for COVID-19 in the Community: What family docs need to know
Streamed live on March 1, 2022
Presenters: Dr. Brenda Chang (Pharmacist), Dr. Allan Grill, Dr. Kate Miller
The COVID-19 Pivot: Vaccine Update for Family Physicians, Part II
The COVID-19 Pivot: Vaccine Update for Family Physicians
Streamed live on January 12, 2021
Presenters: Dr. Gerald Evans, Dr. Mike Kolber, and Dr. Caroline Quach-Thanh
Provincial and Territorial Information and Resources
The CFPC has compiled a list of resources and information available, grouped by province and territory, for use by health care providers and/or patients.
The Doctor is In
Recommendations for expanding in-person care in community-based physician practices. Produced by the Members of the BC Community-Based Physician COVID Task Group of Doctors of BC.
My Family Doctor Cares
The BC College of Family Physicians launches campaign to highlight importance of safe and ongoing access to family physicians.